Thursday, July 22, 2010

Ratatouille (2007) (G)


Ratatouille (2007) (G)
Directed by Brad Bird
Voices: Patton Oswalt, Ian Holm, Lou Romano, Brian Dennehy

Daddy Says:

It's no secret to anyone reading my reviews that I'm a huge fan of Pixar's films. I'll take them over any other studios animated offerings on any day. And to reiterate my biggest reason for preferring them over others, it's because they put so much time into making absolutely sure that the story is right before they ever start animating a single frame.

Ratatouille is the story of an unlikely chef. Unlikely, because, well, he's a rat. Remy, the rat, has a gifted sense of smell, and a refined palate, and he discovered long ago that if "you are what you eat", then perhaps you really shouldn't be eating all that garbage. His hero is a chef named Gusteau, who has written a book called "Anyone Can Cook". Remy is inspired and wants to be a great chef, but how? In a world where humans don't think twice about killing rats, this could be very difficult.

Luckily, Remy stumbles upon a human with the same dream as he, to become a great chef. But where Remy is a great chef trapped in the body of a rat, this human named Linguini has no cooking skills at all. So a plan is hatched, and together they will work together as one to create culinary delights (how they work this process out, I leave for you to discover yourself).

That's just the setup to a film which contains many incredible scenes. I'm always amazed by the visual complexity of a Pixar film. Instead of just doing what is necessary for each scene, they always seem to take it further, putting in more and more visual detail just to enhance your repeat viewing pleasure. For example, this time around watching it (I've seen it a few times now), this was the first time I noticed that Anton Ego's office (the food critic) is shaped like a coffin when it is seen from above.

Truly a delightful film and another Pixar classic not to be missed.

Rating for Ratatouille: ****3/4.

My Son Says:

Ratatouille is hilarious. I encourage you to watch this. It is a fun filled, family adventure. As a good friend of mine would say "it is an action-packed adventure of a thrill ride". I liked pretty much the entire thing, like the beginning where he tells us what's going to happen very shortly. And the impossible happens, like a rat controls a human with only his hair, and the rat can actually cook and understand humans. Once again, this is going to be a short review.

My rating for this movie: *****.

1 comment:

  1. Well done, Daddy and Son - keep 'em coming! Alas, so few boys care to develop their writing skills; when I was a kid I hated tests with essay questions. (And please ignore my previous movie suggestions, which I now realize were a bit too adult/didactic. I don't have kids, as perhaps you can tell.)

    ReplyDelete