Thursday, July 22, 2010

The Last of the Mohicans (1992) (R)


The Last of the Mohicans (1992) (R)
Directed by Michael Mann
Starring: Daniel Day-Lewis, Madeleine Stowe, Russell Means, Eric Schweig

Daddy Says:

It's the question I always ask myself as a parent: Should I really be letting my young child watch an R-rated movie? I try to research the content to help me make my decision, and I was told that the violence in this film was mild for an R-rated film, so I gave it a chance. Luckily, the statement turned out to be true, and it is pretty mild. I originally planned to watch this with my daughter, but hey, summer camp happens.

The Last of the Mohicans is based on the book by James Fenimore Cooper. Having never read the novel, I can't speak to how well it follows the story. And from what I've heard, director Michael Mann hadn't read it either. I can tell you that this is a fairly riveting action/romance movie. I'm not sure how I missed seeing this when it came out, but I'm glad I was able to catch it now.

Daniel Day-Lewis stars as Nathaniel Poe (or Hawkeye as he's known), a trapper in the new colonies in the midst of the French and Indian War. He resists joining the British "volunteer" militia, which is a good thing since he and his adopted Indian family are there when things go badly for a British troop being slaughtered by Indians. He rescues the daughters of a British commander and guides them through a dangerous landscape to return them to their father.

If it all sounds a bit stuffy, don't worry. There's plenty of battle scenes sprinkled throughout to help keep the adrenaline pumping. It's exciting, and visually the movie is gorgeous. Michael Mann and his cinematographer Dante Spinotti do an incredible job of capturing the raw beauty of the area, as well as the visceral intensity present in every battle. It really is one of the most beautiful movies I've seen in quite a while.

Quite simply, this is a terrific action film. Not to be missed (even if, like me, it's taken 18 years to get around to it).

Rating for The Last of the Mohicans: ****3/4.

My Son Says:

The Last of the Mohicans was very good from my perspective. And I'm not going to discourage you from watching this. I liked pretty much every bit of it, mostly because of the action. The scenery was also very good. But there is some things I didn't like. First of all, I didn't like the ending. It wasn't a happy ending. Second of all, we never get to find out why the first attack ever happened. Sorry I don't have as much to say about this film.

Rating for this movie: *****.

No comments:

Post a Comment