Thursday, July 8, 2010

Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010) (PG)


Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief (2010) (PG)
Directed by Chris Columbus
Starring: Logan Lerman, Brandon T. Jackson, Alexandra Daddario, Jake Abel

Daughter Says:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief is a freakishly long title and also a really good movie, in my opinion. It’s made with my age and younger in mind. I probably wouldn’t have watched if my brother didn’t want to. It’s one of those types of movies that you watch if someone else gets it and you have nothing better to do.

This movie is about a young boy named Percy Jackson who is a demi-god. He is related to Zeus's brother, Poseidon. At the beginning of this movie, Percy gets blamed for stealing Zeus’s lightning bolt and he wants it back. Now known as the Lightning Thief, Percy has to save his mother from Hades and return the lightning bolt before Zeus and Poseidon fight among themselves.

I really liked this movie. Yes, it has a lot of the same stuff as Clash of the Titans but it’s still good. (Plus, I’ve always wanted to see the remake of Clash of the Titans) There are a lot of famous actors in this movie such as, Sean Bean (Lord of the Rings), Steve Coogan (Night at the Museum), Rosario Dawson (Descent), Melina Kanakaredes (CSI: NY), Catherine Keener (Where the Wild Things Are), Kevin McKidd (Grey’s Anatomy), Joe Pantoliano (The Matrix), and Uma Thurman (Duh… Kill Bill I and II). So I just figured that this movie was going to be crap.

My parents are always telling me that if there is a lot of money spent on the acting then there won’t be a good script. Well, I think their theory failed on this one. I liked the whole story line of this movie. It makes me want to read the books at least. I hear those are really good. But that’s off subject. I highly recommend this movie to anyone who likes Greek mythology and enjoys a movie that doesn’t involve any thinking whatsoever.

Rating for Percy Jackson and the Olympians: The Lightning Thief: ***1/2.

Daddy Says.

You know you're in for a ponderous viewing experience with a movie that has a title this clunky. For better or worse, Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief is this year's version of Clash of the Titans. The irony that this year also featured a remake of Clash of the Titans isn't lost on me. Call this the kid version.

I didn't have any expectations going in, other than the title which did set me off. However, I was prepared to overlook that if the movie was a good time. It wasn't really. The kids in it just don't act like real kids. And maybe I'm just remembering it wrong, but high school was never like this when I went to school. Percy attends all of one class, just so we can be introduced to the creepy substitute teacher, then spends the rest of his time at the bottom of the swimming pool, or on a field trip to a history museum (do they still take kids to these in high school?). I know, I know, it's just a fantasy film, it's not supposed to be realistic. But then why try to make it seem realistic? Why not set it in another time and place?

Nobody in the film really seems like they want to be there. Nowhere is it more obvious than on the face of Pierce Brosnan. We first see him in a wheelchair at the museum, then later as the front half of a centaur. His reading of lines like "I've got a real horse's ass" are about a flat as you can imagine. Of course, with lines like that I'm not sure how much effort I'd be able to muster up either.

Most of our time in the film is spent collecting three magical pearls that will transport our three heroes back from Hades where they are going to rescue Percy's mom. A quick head count should have told them that they'd need a fourth pearl if they wanted to rescue someone, but I'm probably putting too much thought into the matter. I do wish someone involved with the script would have put some thought into it though.

Kids will probably like it a lot. As for me, I liked this movie better twenty-five years ago. It was called Clash of the Titans then, too.

Rating for Percy Jackson & the Olympians: The Lightning Thief: **1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment