Thursday, July 8, 2010

The Big Red One (1980) (PG)


The Big Red One (1980) (PG)
Directed by Samuel Fuller
Starring: Lee Marvin, Mark Hamill, Robert Carradine, Bobby Di Cicco

Daddy Says:

Writer-director Samuel Fuller puts his memories of serving in World War II on film in The Big Red One. The movie stars Lee Marvin as the sergeant of the platoon in one of his trademark tough guy roles. Robert Carradine should be familiar to many (from TVs Lizzie McGuire if you're young, or from Revenge of the Nerds if you're my age), but the real coup of the film was getting Mark Hamill fresh off his success in the original Star Wars. If you've ever wondered if he could play any part besides Luke Skywalker, check this film out.

The plot of the film is a loose collection of incidents in World War II. There's a memorable scene where the platoon is resting in a cave when a division of German panzer tanks rolls by outside. The troops hope to go undetected, when the bombs start falling outside on the Germans, who then decide to run into the cave for safety, while our heroes pick them off one by one as they enter. And, of course, there's a sequence depicting D-Day and Normandy Beach, that at the time must have seemed intense, but having seen Saving Private Ryan's opening version of events, this one doesn't have the same visceral intensity. On the other hand, this is a PG movie, so at least you could show it to your kids safely.

Robert Carradine is the narrator of our journey, the part nearly autobiographical for Samuel Fuller. Most of the war is seen through his eyes. Only on occasion do we break away from him to see something else happen, such as when Mark Hamill's character finds a German soldier hiding in one of the ovens that were used to kill hundreds of captured Jews. His response could be seen as overkill, but I think it fits with what these men must have been feeling at the time.

I'd like to say that it all adds up to a great statement about the war, but in the end it's just a collection of moments lived through by a small group of soldiers. Not that that should stop you from watching it. It's scenes are memorable, and the acting is first-rate.

Rating for The Big Red One: ****1/2.

Daughter Says:

The Big Red One is a different kind of war movie. I’ve never seen a film like this before. I was pretty sure that I wouldn’t like this movie but once again I was proven wrong. I was absolutely positive that this movie was going to be a disaster movie about the war. Probably extremely cheesy and violent. I hate violence. But it was exact opposite. There was no cheesiness to it and little violence.

This movie was well planned out. The story line was easy to follow and very understandable. There was a deep meaning behind the movie, but I just have one problem. I forgot it.

I couldn’t remember what this movie was about to save my life. I had to be reminded about it over and over again. So either I have too much stuff in my head or this movie wasn’t that memorable. First of all, there isn’t that catchy title. The Big Red One refers to the leader of the groups past battle. I didn’t really get the impression that they really covered the guy's past. I know the guy had one incident that reoccurs at the end of the movie, but other than that I didn’t see anything about The Big Red One that referred to the rest of the movie.

But other than that major thought (when I remembered it), I liked this movie. It was surprisingly enjoyable. And like I said it is very deep. At one point one of the soldiers goes a little insane and starts shooting his gun over and over again. I won’t give too much away if you want to see this movie, but I do suggest this movie if you like war movies and if you like Mark Hamill.

Rating for The Big Red One: **1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment