Thursday, July 8, 2010

Jennifer's Body (2009) (R)


Jennifer's Body (2009) (R)
Directed by Karyn Kusama
Starring: Megan Fox, Amanda Seyfried, Johnny Simmons, Adam Brody

Daughter Says:

Jennifer’s Body is Woah! I can’t describe how messed up this movie is. There was nothing better to watch so we decided to watch Jennifer’s Body, but man was that a bad idea.

I was horrified. Who thought this movie was a good idea? Here I thought we’re dealing with vampires again. (I’m so sick and tired of those stupid vamps.) But noooo! We we’re dealing with a monster. Jennifer is bizarre. This band, from the city, decides to send her to Hell as a gift. In return they wanted good fortune. They sure did get that, but Jennifer definitely didn’t get the good fortune. She comes back from Hell with one thing in mind. “I’m going to eat all the boys I can!”

Ahhhhhh! I’ve never found something more disturbing than watch Megan Fox’s mouth open the wrong way and eat a guy. It’s giving me the creeps just thinking about it. This was probably the worst horror film I’ve ever seen. It wasn’t scary at all. It was just grotesque.

There is a good point to this movie. You get to see Megan Fox walk around all sexy like and flirt with boys. That’s about the only plus. I know everybody seems to think that Megan Fox and Amanda Seyfried making out is hot, but I don’t see the attraction. I’ll never understand that kind of thing.

I don’t know whether to highly suggest this movie or warn you to stay clear of it. Hmmm, let me think. I think I’ll leave it up to you. I don’t think it’s a requirement to life to watch this movie. It’s just not as good as some of those classics, but it wasn’t so bad that I hate it. I liked it for a one-time thing. "I go both ways."

Rating for Jennifer’s Body: **1/2.

Daddy Says:

Some movies come with built-in expectations. Jennifer's Body is one of those movies. Casting Megan Fox in the lead would seem like a good thing. Show her walking in slow-motion at a high school looking like she just stepped out of a Britney Spears music video: check. Add funny dialogue (You're killing people. No, I'm killing "boys"): check. Add a few cheap scares and you've got yourself the perfect summer movie.

So what went wrong?

The dialogue isn't terribly written. At least here the students sound like I think kids their age should sound like. It's kind of stylized, but I can see high-schoolers watching it and picking up some new cool phrases they can add to their vocabulary. The acting, while not stellar, is acceptable. I don't think anyone expected Megan Fox to pull out an Academy Award worthy performance, but she's able to pull off a high-schooler fairly well. I've watched Amanda Seyfried in HBO's Big Love, so I knew she could pull this simple part off rather easily. And I liked seeing Adam Brody in the role of the band's lead singer (having moved up from his role as guitar player Dave Rygalski on TVs Gilmore Girls).

However, there are big problems with the plot. We don't find out what's causing Jennifer to kill people until very late in the film, so for the majority of the movie we're left wondering what's going on with her. My wife thought the band she's got the hots for were vampires, and that's the reason for her behavior. Luckily for me, there were no vampires here, but the actual cause for her killing spree is just as bland. The "scares" (quotes intentional), when they come, are just not very scary. There's no suspense to speak of, so all we're left with is the occasional gross-out moment.

I really wanted to like this movie. Being let down after having my expectations raised sky high: check.

Rating for Jennifer's Body: **.

No comments:

Post a Comment