Wednesday, February 17, 2010

What's this all about anyway?

I woke up this morning with this thought in my head: The Daddy/Daughter Movie Project.

Probably not the best title in the world, but there it is. But, what is it?

I have a 15 year old daughter, Sammi, who has wanted to be an author for as long as I can remember. Not sure where she came up with this notion, but her Mom and I have supported her dream as much as possible. We encourage her to read, take her to the library, take her to meet other authors to find out what they know, and encourage her to write whenever possible. She's written short stories and poems, even going so far as to write a story in paint on her bedroom wall.

Recently, for a journalism class assignment, she had to write a review, choosing the AMC mini-series "The Prisoner" because she really enjoyed watching the original Patrick McGoohan series with me (I own it on DVD). We both watched it together, and were both disappointed by it together. She wrote her review of it, and if I remember correctly got a pretty good grade on it and enjoyed doing it.

Myself, I'm 45. A husband to a loving wife for the last 18 years. In addition to my daughter, we have a son who is 9. Don't know what he wants to be when he grows up yet. But if he had his wishes granted right now, it would probably have something to do with playing video games.

When I was a teen myself, I started noticing that there were people who made a living watching movies and giving their opinions about them. They called themselves "movie critics" and the first two I noticed were Siskel and Ebert. This was back when they were on PBS doing a show called "Sneak Previews". I watched it religiously. I found myself agreeing with Roger Ebert more than Gene Siskel, and I still read his reviews to this day. When I told my mom that I wanted to be a movie critic when I got older, she told me I needed to get a real job instead. Broke my heart, but she was right.

In college, I did become a movie critic of sorts, writing reviews for the college newspaper. Spent my own money to go see the movies, didn't get paid a single cent for the column, but I did get some small fame on campus when someone read my review and let me know. It was fun, but I still knew there was no way for me to make a living doing this.

So here it is, 2010. Newspapers are dying out, and movie critics can be found all over the internet. Why in the world would you want to read one more? What's different about these reviews?

My idea is to give you not one, but two opinions on a movie. One from a 45 year old father, and the other from a 15 year old girl. The Daddy/Daughter Movie Project. I'll write a review from my perspective, she'll write a review on the same film from her perspective. Like Siskel and Ebert, I don't often think we'll agree (she loves watching Sandra Bullock romantic comedies, I prefer films with loftier aspirations), but I do hope we'll both inform and entertain you. And, perhaps, get to live out our dreams (her of being an author, me of being a movie critic), at least online for a little while.

1 comment:

  1. I would just like to say to all the parents out there, if your child has a dream let them dream!! They don't have to have it all figured out at 9 yrs old or even at 18!! If by the time they are ready to college or strike out in the world, they still want to be something you think is CRAZY...Take a step back, look at and then try to guide them in a direct that will both satify them and support them. Movie Critics have made a lot of money since my husband was a little boy, so it wasn't a crazy dream. My mom wanted to be an artist for Hallmark cards, and she could have been, if she had been encouraged by her parents. Maybe our baby won't grow up to be an author, but she might. I think our son will be a professional wrestler, which scares me to death, but it is their lives and their dreams (Not mine and my husband's) that count.

    ReplyDelete