Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Hangover (2009) (R)


The Hangover (2009) (R)
Directed by Todd Phillips
Starring Bradley Cooper, Ed Helms, Zach Galifianakis, Justin Bartha

Daddy Says:

The Hangover is the story of a bachelor and his three friends who head out to Vegas for one last fling before he gets married. All goes well until they wake up the next morning in their trashed hotel suite, the groom missing, with no memory of the previous nights events, and a tiger trapped in the bathroom and a baby left in the closet. It's a race against time to hazily reconstruct the previous night, find the groom and get him back in time for his wedding in 24 hours.

It's a detective story played for big laughs, some of which work, some don't. Typical of today's comedies, many of its laughs are of the shock/gross-out type, which I just don't find very funny. There are some truly great laugh-out-loud moments, which I won't spoil for you. Many of the best are found in the movie's trailer, so don't be surprised that many of them are already spoiled. My favorite non-trailer moment is a song performed by Ed Helms (he's Andy Bernard from The Office) on the suite's piano.

Overall, it's a decent movie. I laughed a bit, smiled some more. Some of it felt original, a lot of it felt like I'd seen it before. I recommend it for people who don't get offended easily, looking for a good time at the movies.

Grade for The Hangover: B+

Now to see if I was a bad parent for letting my 15-year old daughter watch this.

Daughter Says:

Well, I have one thing to say, this movie made my brother look like a clean freak when it came to trashed rooms. It was an okay movie that had some laughs, naked people, and tigers. My favorite part was with fighter, Mike Tyson. The Hangover had a great sound track that went well with the scenes.

This movie was funny and a bit acquired for me, but it didn't go so far as to be extreme. I would defiantly rate this better than Bruno.

So I give The Hangover a "B".

No comments:

Post a Comment