Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Bring It On: Fight to the Finish (2009) (PG-13)


Bring It On: Fight to the Finish (2009) (PG-13)
Directed by Bille Woodruff
Starring Christina Milian, Rachele Brooke Smith, Laura Ceron, Cody Longo

Daddy says:

This was really not what I thought the movie our first review would be about, but that's what my daughter brought home from the video store... So, there it is.

Bring It On: Fight to the Finish is the fifth movie in the Bring It On series. That pretty much sums up the movie right there. Short review, huh? I didn't even use the word "fierce".

This movie is essentially the same as the first one (the only other one in the series I've seen), whereby a group of misfit cheerleaders, who like to work the word "cheer" into as many phrases as possible, make a cheer-bid to become state cheer-ampions, or spirit champions, or something. The first film had the benefit of having Kirsten Dunst as a lead, and Eliza Dushku as her second. They both played characters who were at least somewhat likable. This one, not so lucky. Christinia Milian plays Lina, the East-LA cheerleading captain who has to move to Malibu because her mother gets remarried. She plays a character so unlikeable she actually seems like the villain of the piece (a job ably taken on by Rachele Brooke Smith as Avery, the rival team's cheer captain). Everyone in the school looks costumed to the hilt, and about ten years older than most high-schoolers should look. I actually thought the movie was set in college for a while.

Essentially these movies are all about watching pretty people doing stripper moves, while pretending to be cheerleaders. I've watched actual cheerleading competitions on ESPN; the routines don't look like they came straight out of music videos. Here they do. The athletes perform on a well-lit stage, obviously so the judges can see them. Here, they're performing on a half-lit stage with swirling spotlights. It makes no sense.

There's a "love" interest too, who turns out to be the rival's brother, but I really don't want to get into it. Obviously, a 45 year old, father of two is not the target audience for a film like this. I'm not sure exactly who is the target audience, or just what kind of message you're supposed to take away from a movie like this. Or even if it has a message to give.

Cheer-Grade for Bring It On: Fight to the Finish: Give me an "F"...


Daughter says:

I'll start by putting it into the cheer words. It was a cheerdisaster. I loved the first movie and the the third movie. And even the fourth movie. I've never seen the second, but want too. (That's beside the point) I was not impressed.

I couldn't even like the main character. She started like a snobby all that kind of girl and didn't want to associate with anyone in her new town of Malibu. Daddy pretty much summed up the movie and even gave pretty good opinion to the movie. It was an overall disappointment.

The only good thing I got from it was a nice sound track featuring Lady Gaga which is always a plus if you ask me. I just hope the Bring It On series of movies stops while it's ahead.

This is why I rate this movie, Bring it on: Fight to the Finish a C

No comments:

Post a Comment