Sunday, February 28, 2010

Robots (2005) (PG)


Robots (2005) (PG)
Directed by Chris Wedge
Voices of Halle Berry, Ewan McGregor, Robin Williams, Jim Broadbent

Daddy Says:

Apparently, not my day for good movies. From the makers of the Ice Age movies (the first one I kind of liked), comes Robots, a tale of a world populated entirely by well, you guessed it, robots. Rodney (voiced by Ewan McGregor) is a talented inventor who goes off to Robot City to make his fortune. He meets the girl (Halle Berry), the lovable sidekick (Robin Williams) and the villain and his mother (voiced by Greg Kinnear and Jim Broadbent respectively) who try to stop him from succeeding in his quest. Well, you can probably guess the rest.

It's all fairly predictable, but my kids both seemed to enjoy it. As for me, I found the many references to much better movies took me out of the moment and reminded me that there are a lot of better movies I could be watching right now. Seriously, this movie throws in parts of 2001: A Space Odyssey, Star Wars, Braveheart, The Wizard of Oz, Singin' in the Rain, and those are just the ones off the top of my head, any one of which I would have enjoyed more than this.

Robots is a very good looking film. The animation is decent. I just wish they hadn't spent the rest of the film's budget on hiring big name voice talent. If they had saved some money to be spent on an original script, this would have been a much better movie.

Grade for Robots: D-

Daughter Says:

Robots is a great movie for someone who just wants to sit down and enjoy the weekend. It has no sad or too emotional parts, so it's really fun to watch. All the good guys in this movie are likable and all the villains are obviously unlikable. It also had a good sound track that matched the personality of the movie perfectly.

I can't really find much wrong with this movie, I guess there were a lot of large name people. So I can see that it could have gone better. But the references were enjoyable. I always like to be able to know references in other movies; it makes me feel smarter.

Robots is definitely a movie for kids. It has plenty of humor and funny moments for them. Plus the Blue Men Group helped with the sound track and I love the Blue Men.

So my grade for this movie is exact opposite of Dad. "A"!!

No comments:

Post a Comment