Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Where the Wild Things Are (2009) (PG)


Where the Wild Things Are (2009) (PG)
Directed by Spike Jonze
Starring: Max Records, Catherine Keener, James Gandolfini, Paul Dano, Forest Whitaker, Mark Ruffalo

Daddy Says:

Once upon a time there was a classic children's book called Where the Wild Things Are by author Maurice Sendak. It was much loved, and read by almost every child everywhere. Then along came a movie by the same name. Somehow, I don't think it will be called a classic over forty years from now.

The movie follows the story for the most part, but obviously had to expand a lot since the original story can be read in about ten minutes. Max Records stars as Max, a boy growing up with an older sister who is drifting away from him, and a divorced mother (Catherine Keener) trying to find love again. One night after a fight with his mother, Max runs away from home (here being the first difference from the story which has Max being sent to his room without supper). He finds a boat and sails off for an island where he meets huge, scary-looking beasts. Max sides with the apparent Outsider of the group (voiced by a very-good James Gandolfini), becomes their "king" and learns that dealing with emotional beings of all kinds and trying to keep everybody happy isn't as easy he thought.

I tried not to have high expectations for this film. When you're dealing with a Spike Jonze movie, you really have no idea where you're going next. I really enjoyed his brilliant Being John Malkovich and thought this movie might be just as good. It's not a terrible movie, but it just doesn't have the same feel as the classic book. In the book, Max imagines his room becoming a forest where he meets the wild things. In the movie, it's not made clear whether all of this is in Max's imagination or if we're supposed to believe there really is an island full of wild things. I don't think I'm spoiling things by saying that Max eventually returns to his home, where he is greeted by his Mom with a big hug and a plate of chocolate cake. As my 9-year-old son pointed out, that is not how we would react if he had just ran away from home.

Rating for Where the Wild Things Are: ***1/2

Daughter Says:

Where the Wild Things Are is a book that every child should if they haven't read it already. Even as a fifteen year old I love the book. The movie on the other hand, you don't really have to see. It was a good movie but the book is really good.

I thought the people in the monster costumes created a feeling that they were real monsters. I was very impressed by their skills as actors because I'm sure it is extremely hard to show emotion in a costume.

I was also impressed by Max Records because he was the main character and I would find it very daunting to a little boy. Plus he was working with costumes and sometimes acting alone. So I was very surprised at how well he did. I think he has a good future ahead of him.

This movie was good because it is one of the few movies that can make me cry. So good job movie makers.

I give this movie a rating of ****1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment