Sunday, March 21, 2010

The Princess and the Frog (2009) (G)


The Princess and the Frog (2009) (G)
Directed by John Musker & Ron Clements
Voices by Anika Noni Rose, John Goodman, Keith David, Jim Cummings

Daughter Says:

The Princess and the Frog is the newest princess in the Disney roster. Tiana, voiced by Anika Noni Rose, is the first black princess in Disney history. And that is about the best part of this movie. Based in New Orleans, Louisiana, we meet Tiana and her rich friend Charlotte, voiced by Jennifer Cody. They are listening to Tiana's mother read the girls the old fairy tale of the Princess and the Frog.

Tiana wouldn't kiss a frog for anything, but one day she has to face her worst fear. She has to kiss a frog to save the restaurant she's always wanted. The only problem is when she kisses the frog, it doesn't turn into a prince, she turns into a frog. Worst nightmare ever! I won't spoil the whole thing for you but they end up getting into a lot of trouble and they have to find a witch doctor to break the cures.

This movie had good music and an okay story line. The problem for me was the animation. I thought at the beginning the animation was very pretty and everything, but then they kept changing the animation to really badly drawn cartoons. And I hate watching things that change for no good reason. Some movies can pull that off but I don't think this movie was one of them.

The other part was I don't think the characters were very likable. The Prince was very stuck up and full of himself, and the Tiana had such major tunnel vision that she wasn't that fun to like.

All together this movie was okay and the music was GREAT, but it just wasn't my cup of tea. I give this movie a rating of ***.

Daddy Says:

I actually liked this movie more than my daughter did. We see so many movies these days which are done on a computer, that it's refreshing to see a good old-fashioned hand-drawn animated movie again. I thought the animation was very well-done, and the switching to a different style (sort of an art-deco motif during a musical number where Tiana fantasizes about her future life) didn't bother me as much as it did other family members.

I thought the voices were well done, and the script didn't let the voice actors down. It gave us very likable characters to spend ninety minutes with. I do wish they hadn't gone the obvious route of tugging at our heart strings by killing off a major character in the last third of the film. Even though they made it seem like the character went on to a happy ending, I just don't think it was needed for what is, essentially, a children's movie.

The film was lively, didn't drag, and is a very good addition to the Disney pantheon of animated features. Anyone who has enjoyed their films, from Snow White to The Little Mermaid, is encouraged to seek this one out.

Rating for The Princess and the Frog: ****1/4

1 comment:

  1. I did not like this, sorry!! The animation on the bad guy was different from everyone else and I felt a little too sinister for a child's movie. The ending was too sad to be good. Sorry, not up to Disney quailty movies in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete