Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The Blind Side (2009) (PG-13)


The Blind Side (2009) (PG-13)
Directed by John Lee Hancock
Starring: Sandra Bullock, Tim McGraw, Kathy Bates, Quinton Aaron

Daddy Says:

The Blind Side depicts the remarkable true story of Michael Oher, a homeless African-American teen from a broken home, a ward of the state after being separated from his drug-addicted mother. He is taken in by the Touhys, a well-off white family who help him fulfill his potential. At the same time, his presence in their lives leads them to some discoveries of their own.

Sandra Bullock does a phenomenal job as the mother with the heart of gold. She's a Christian woman, and, seeing someone in need, can't just look the other way. She won the Oscar for Best Actress for this role, and I'd say she earned it. One look at her face when Michael tells her he's never had a bed before tells you everything you need to know about her. I get mushy just thinking about this emotional scene.

The other actors also pull their own weight. My daughter asked when Tim McGraw was going to show up in the movie, without realizing she'd been watching him the entire time playing the role of husband in the family. Quinton Aaron is a natural playing Michael Oher. He's had a few roles before this one, but having never seen him before, I felt like I was watching his first performance. He steps into a role that could have easily been played over-dramatically, but he doesn't make any missteps.

The story, although true to the source material, feels a little too familiar. Not that I'm saying it should have been embellished, but it did seem like a bit of a soap opera at times. But don't let that stop you from watching this really great emotion-filled movie.

Rating for The Blind Side: ***3/4

Daughter Says:

The Blind Side, to me, was another football movie. Well that's what I thought it was going to be like when I first saw the previews for it. Don't get me wrong here, I love certain football movies. And believe me this is one of them. I think the Blind Side took a football story and made it about more than just football. It is about a boy and a family having an effect on each other and how their lives change around it.

It is a beautiful story that is a happy, sad tale. In the end, everyone wants to cry. I loved this movie and would watch it over and over again. The actors in this movie were great and really helped bring this story to life. I sometimes forgot who I was watching and really got into the story. I think Sandra Bullock earned that Academy Award.

My rating for The Blind Side is ****.

No comments:

Post a Comment