Saturday, September 11, 2010

Reservoir Dogs (1992) (R)

Reservoir Dogs (1992) (R)
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring: Harvey Keitel, Tim Roth, Michael Madsen, Chris Penn

Daddy Says:

Finally got around to watching Quentin Tarantino's debut as a director with my daughter. I saw this movie when it first came out and it completely blew me away. So does it still stand up today, some eighteen years later? I'd say it does.

The acting in Reservoir Dogs is superb. The cast is helped immeasurably by the addition of Harvey Keitel as Mr. White. The veteran of so many Martin Scorsese pictures is a natural in his role. In addition to bringing a feeling of history to his part, I love the little bits of business he throws in to his part. When he puts Mr. Orange down on the ramp, and starts combing his hair, he whispers something that makes Mr. Orange laugh, taking his mind off the pain he's in. I've always wondered what it was he whispered. Later in the film when Nice Guy Eddie shows up at the warehouse, the door Eddie enters through doesn't close completely and slowly swings open. Keitel notices it and casually walks to the background to close it. I'm positive that moment wasn't scripted that way, it was just something Keitel noticed wouldn't be left that way by his character if the scene were happening in reality.

I could go on about Michael Madsen's great portrayal of the psychopathic Mr. Blonde, or Steve Buscemi's role as the jittery Mr. Pink, but the role that most impresses me is Tim Roth as Mr. Orange. I had never seen him before this film, and I've seen him many times since (lately on the TV series Lie to Me). His part may be the most difficult of all the roles to play, since he is in constant pain for the first half of the film, and in emotional turmoil for the second half. His is the character the audience identifies with the most. The people I was watching with mentioned that if he had just not told Mr. White his secret near the end of the film, things would have turned out differently for him. But the truth is, he had to tell him. Mr. White was his protector throughout the entire movie, the only one who believed in him. He owed it to him to tell him the truth. It's a deeply moving moment.

I haven't talked much about Tarantino's direction, but if you need to know, it's as good as any film he's ever made and has all the trademarks of his films we've come to know over the years: the quirky pop dialogue, the long take, the shot looking up from inside the trunk, etc. Reservoir Dogs is one of the most assured film debuts ever made by a director, and is arguably the best independent film ever made.

Rating for Reservoir Dogs: ****3/4.

Daughter Says:

I officially only have one Quentin Tarantino movie left on my list to see now. (Jackie Brown) I’ve been dying to see this movie since I’ve heard about it. There are so many things about Reservoir Dogs that I like. I love many of the actors in it, it’s got a great story line, and IT’S A QUENTIN TARANTINO MOVIE!

There are so many great things to say about this movie, I don’t know where to begin. I guess I’ll start with the beginning. I loved the opening conversation. It was about Madonna’s Like a Virgin. The whole thing made complete sense. It had nothing to do with the movie, but the conversation itself made complete sense. (Quentin Tarantino is a genius!) Then the conversation after that was great too. (Mr. Pink: “I don’t tip.” Nice Guy Eddie: “You don’t tip?” “Nah, I don’t believe in it.” “You don’t believe in tipping?”) You can see where that conversation is heading. Every bit of dialogue was genius in this film. It was all sharp, quick, and witty. I just loved it.

I also loved the story line. Of course the story line was told out of order, which is no surprise. (It’s a Quentin Tarantino movie after all.) But that makes this story just that much better. I loved how every section of the movie told the story of a different guy, so I got to know each of the characters that much more. I didn’t feel rushed for information, which is always a nice touch, and it flowed smoothly. I was with all the guys in this movie when they were desperate to find out who the snitch was. Then I was blown away when I found out who the snitch ended up being. And at the end I was really shocked, because I didn’t know who survived and who died. There was just so much in your face. I was just stunned.

My last point for this movie is, of course, that this is a Quentin Tarantino movie. I mean holy cow this movie was amazing. I must say I’ve become a major fan. (If you haven’t already figured it out.) So if you love Tarantino movies as much as I do then you should definitely watch this movie.

Rating for Reservoir Dogs: *****.

No comments:

Post a Comment