Sunday, September 12, 2010

Pulp Fiction (1994) (R)

Pulp Fiction (1994) (R)
Directed by Quentin Tarantino
Starring: John Travolta, Samuel L. Jackson, Uma Thurman, Bruce Willis

Daddy Says:

Whereas Quentin Tarantino's Reservoir Dogs was a reinvention of the heist picture, one in which the heist in question isn't seen on film, his Pulp Fiction doesn't really draw from one single film-reference source. It seems to draw from several, somehow coalesced into a single whole inside his subconscious, then dumped en masse onto the screen. And I mean that in a good way.

Once again, Tarantino chooses to tell his story in a non-sequential narrative. He's said he's not doing it, just to be doing it, but because it makes the most sense from a narrative point of view. I have to agree, particularly with this film. If it were told in strict chronological order, the middle section of the film, titled "The Gold Watch" would end up last, and while that segment ultimately has what could be called a happy ending to it, a major character gets killed in it, one we would have by this point grown to love, which would have left the audience feeling down. By shuffling the storytelling order, that character is alive when the film ends.

Tarantino's love of dialogue is evident here, front and center. All of his characters love to talk, sometimes too much. But the dialogue itself, while certainly stylized, is never dull. In fact some of it is truly brilliant. Years later, I can still recall whole conversations almost word for word (say "what" again, I dare you, I double dare you, say "what" one more time). Yes, I left out a curse word in that quote. The cursing in this film is, while hard on the ears at times, also brilliant. When Samuel L. Jackson is in the backseat of a blood-soaked car, listen to how he is able to use the same four-syllable word (M.F'er) twice in the same sentence consecutively, and it makes perfect sense in context.

The stories are lurid, tawdry, and exhilarating. These are characters I would never want to be close to in real life, but for a little over two hours I love spending time with them. I was so invested in the lives of these people that ,by the time the film was over, I almost didn't want it to end. This is one of those films where I would love to see more of what happens to the characters after the film ends. Bloody brilliant.

Rating for Pulp Fiction: ****3/4.

Daughter Says:

Guess what? I just watched another Quentin Tarantino movie. I’ve seen Pulp Fiction before when I was about eight, so I really didn’t quite get it. I just knew that I loved the movie. Now, that I’ve seen it for the second time, I like it even more.

I’ve started to notice a pattern in Tarantino movies. They are mostly told out of order. (Which is really a neat way to watch a film.) I think that if Tarantino had shown this film in sequence it might have been a major disappointment. It would have definitely ended on a sad note. Since it’s told out of order you feel more satisfied about the end of the movie. (Which I’m always a big fan of.) Not only telling the story out of order give you a happy ending, it also keeps you on your feet. You got to make sure to pay extreme close attention because if you don’t you’ll have no idea what just happened. I like movies like that, because I’m never bored with watching it.

Another pattern that I noticed was Tarantino likes to use a lot of the same actors in a lot of his movies, but with different main characters. (Pulp Fiction: John Travolta and Samuel Jackson. Inglorious Bastards: Brad Pitt. Reservoir Dogs: Harvey Keitel. Kill Bill I and II: Uma Thurman. etc) But the back up actors are usually the same. I keep seeing Tim Roth, Uma Thurman, and even Steve Buscemi; which is fine with me, because I love all of them. Tim Roth is an amazing actor in my opinion. He does such a great job, but I didn’t fall in love with him in Pulp Fiction or Reservoir Dogs. I was in love with him in his semi-new TV show Lie to Me. That’s another great show that will keep your mind working.

Tarantino’s dialogue in this movie will keep your mind working too. Pulp Fiction was fast, witty, and creative. You really have to be well educated in the entertainment genre to get some of the things the characters talked about. Not only do you have to understand them you also have to be a very good listener because they are such fast talkers. I loved how quick and snappy they talked. I wish some people talked like that in real life. Those would be some funny and witty conversations. That’d be so cool. Anyway…

Rating for Pulp Fiction: *****.

No comments:

Post a Comment