Sunday, June 6, 2010

The Road (2009) (R)


The Road (2009) (R)
Directed by John Hillcoat
Starring: Viggo Mortensen, Kodi McPhee, Charlize Theron, Guy Pearce

Daddy Says:

I read the Cormac McCarthy novel this film is based on about a year ago. It was on the top of some best-sellers list and I had just seen the movie version of another of his novels, No Country for Old Men. Then I heard that Viggo Mortensen was set to play the lead and my interest in the film went even higher.

The Road takes place sometime in the near future. I say near, even though the time frame isn't really mentioned, but everything still looks about the same. No flying cars, or robot servants, so I'm guessing it's pretty near. The only thing that has changed is the landscape. Something bad has happened in our world, which is now covered in so many layers of gloomy clouds that the sun no longer shines. Because of that, nothing grows anymore, the plant life has all died out, and all of the animals have died except for one: the human animal. And there aren't many of us left.

We follow a man and his son as they journey south. Where are they heading? Somewhere warmer they hope. We don't see many others in the world. Most of the ones we do see are dangerous. They travel in armed packs and prey on the weaker ones left. And I do mean prey, as they've grown hungrier, they've turned to cannibalism. The father must protect the boy from harm, and he must try to raise him in a world so scarred, knowing that he won't be around to protect him forever.

The novel is very powerful. Even a year later I can recall scenes from it. Even whole passages of dialogue. The prose is sparse, like the landscape they inhabit, but there's a certain poetry to it. I found it to be a very moving experience. I'd like to say that the film moved me the same way, but it didn't.

Some parts have been changed, as they always are in adapting a novel to the screen, and it could be that I just want my favorite parts back in. The scene with the can of Coke, for instance. In the movie, they find the can, the father gives it to the boy, the boy insists on sharing it with his father, they smile, they finish it and move on. It's a nice moment between father and son, but in the book the father insists that the boy drink most of it, and the boy realizes that his father wants him to have it because he knows that his boy will never have another one, ever again. Yes, it's only a can of Coke, but knowing that it's just one more thing gone from this world forever is a very moving image.

The movie's visual images are incredible. Even though the landscape is bleak, and everything's monochromatic due to the lack of sunlight, it's still riveting. The actors do a great job of bringing the characters to life. Robert Duvall, almost unrecognizable under layers of makeup, is wonderful in his small role. Viggo Mortensen is great as the father and Kodi McPhee does a good job as his son.

The Road is a good movie, and I recommend watching it, but I was really hoping for a great one.

Rating for The Road: ***3/4.

Daughter Says:

The Road is supposedly a great book, but I didn't read it. What parts I caught were good anyway. The movie on the other hand was good to me. I know my dad didn't enjoy it all that much, but I did. Having not been spoiled by a good read I was very pleased with The Road.

I must say I fell in love with the cinematography in this movie. The end of the world seems very grey almost black and white. I thought Javier Aguirresarobe did a brilliant job at creating the end of the world. It was so amazing and beautiful. I enjoyed watching the images so much.

Another thing I liked was the actors. They were amazing in this movie. Especially Viggo Mortensen and Kodi Smit-McPhee were really good at acting. It was mostly just their relationship with each other. I was very moved by their feelings. I was crying by the end of the movie.

I do recommend this movie, but I also suggest watching this movie before reading the book. If you already have you probably would not enjoy this film as much as I did, but you should still see it.

Rating for The Road: ****.

No comments:

Post a Comment