Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Alice in Wonderland (2010) (PG)


Alice in Wonderland (2010) (PG)
Directed by Tim Burton
Starring: Johnny Depp, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham-Carter, Crispin Glover

Daughter Says:

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland is unlike any other. Alice has not just come to Wonderland, but she has returned. And Johnny Depp is in it. (I'm in love with him). It is the same traditional story of Alice, but this time she must help save Wonderland from the evil red queen.

I have never liked Alice in Wonderland. It kind of always scared me when I was little and now. But when I heard that Johnny Depp was going to be in a Tim Burton version of Alice in Wonderland I just had to see. And boy was I happy when this movie came out on dvd. I fell in love with it right away.

There were so many great things about this movie. 1) Johnny Depp was in it. 2) Tim Burton directed it. 3) Helena Bonham Carter was in it too. (Depp and Carter work so well together) 4) Anne Hathaway was there too (odd choice I must say. I would never have suspected her.) and 5) I found someone new to fall in love with. Crispin Glover. He was so wicked in this movie.

Now I must get to the downfalls in this movie. First of all I didn't like Alice that much. Her makeup was awful and well I didn't find her very likable. Unlike the Mad Hatter. (It might just be me, because I'm so madly in love with Johnny Depp) Also I had some problem with the ending. Why did Alice have to go home, she didn't need to answer the question at the very beginning and it was obvious that the Mad Hatter really liked her. (Poor Hatter, Alice is an idiot.)

I really think that if you love Johnny and Tim Burton and Helena Bonham Carter and Alan Rickman you should really watch Alice in Wonderland. If you like the Anne Hathaway in the Princess Diaries I suggest you not watch this movie in the enjoyment of watching Hathaway. She was kind of creepy and odd. She wasn't herself in this film.

Rating for Alice in Wonderland: ****.

Daddy Says:

First, the good. Alice in Wonderland is a visually stimulating film. Even though the color palette is fairly muted, the art design of the picture is still stunning. It's hard to tell these days just how much is real and how much is computer generated, but Wonderland is completely believable in its appearance. It's awesome.

Unfortunately, that's about it. The story is just not very good. Never having read the original material, I can't say how closely it follows the source, but if it does then I wish it hadn't and instead have come up with something more interesting. As for the acting, I feel that while most of the performers seemed to be trying their best, that their hearts just didn't seem to be in it. Even Johnny Depp's Mad Hatter seems like a retread of parts he's played better in other movies (seems to me like a combination of Edward Scissorhands and Captain Jack Sparrow for the most part). His supposed-to-be emotional appeal to Alice that she could stay in Wonderland doesn't come across that way. It's more like he's just ready for this movie to be over. Only Helana Bonham-Carter as the Red Queen seems to really be relishing her role.

Perhaps I'm not the audience they had in mind for this film. Kids will probably enjoy it a lot more than grown-ups will. And perhaps with time, I may grow to like it more, but for now I'm not looking forward to going back to Wonderland any time soon.

Rating for Alice in Wonderland: **1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment