Saturday, May 1, 2010

P.S. I Love You (2007) (PG-13)


P.S. I Love You (2007) (PG-13)
Directed by Richard LaGravenese
Starring: Hilary Swank, Gerard Butler, Gina Gershon, Lisa Kudrow

Daughter Says:

P.S. I Love You is based off the novel by Cecelia Ahern. I've never read it and probably won't. I love romance comedies but not as books, for some odd reason. But that's beside the point. It is about this woman (Hilary Swank) and this man (Gerard Butler) who have fallen in love and are married. There's just a few problems. One they had been fighting like an old married couple. (She doesn't want kids right now. He wants kids.) That kind of stuff. Second problem is he dies. Now you would think that was the end of the movie, but no it is not. On her thirtieth birthday she gets a recorded message from her dead husband. He explains to her that she is going to receive letters from him over a while that tells her something to do every day. She does these things and then... I won't give too much away.

I would have liked this movie, but there was something so wrong with it. For one thing, I didn't like the ending. I won't tell you how it ends but it's not all that good. She doesn't end up with who I wanted her to. I also felt like she was whiny and I don't like whiny people. "Feel sorry for me. Pamper me." is all I could hear throughout the movie. I don't know why I felt that way about this movie, I just did.

I just hope one day, I'll find a great movie with Gerard Butler in it. Maybe someday. Oh well until then I'll have to watch these okay movies.

Rating for P.S. I Love You: ***.

Daddy Says:

I could tell in the first ten minutes I wasn't going to like this movie, right after Gerard Butler promises his true love, Hilary Swank, that "he's not going anywhere" (foreshadow much?). It doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess that his funeral is the very next scene.

The script is very poorly written. The dialogue sounds very stiff and unnatural, and while I give credit to the actors for trying to say it with some conviction, it rarely works. The script also tries too hard to push the audience's emotional buttons, giving the most obvious cues to "cry here", "laugh here", etc. Not one moment of this movie felt natural. Even in the big emotional scene where Swank's character runs to her mom and starts spouting off every single feeling she's been going through with perfect crystal clarity. It's like the writer couldn't figure out how to show all of that internal turmoil, so the character's just going to have to spit it all out at once.

As for the actors, I like Gerard Butler and Hilary Swank, just in other movies, not here. Hilary Swank, especially, is miscast here. I'm not sure what she was thinking by playing this role. I know she can do better parts than this thinly-written character, so I'm not sure what attracted her to this role. Gina Gershon and Lisa Kudrow tag along to help out with her dead husband's wacky scavenger hunt, but they both look like they'd rather be anywhere but in this movie.

For a so-called romantic comedy, this movie is really fairly downbeat. But I guess it works for some people. My wife had a fairly decent cry over it. It just didn't move me in the same way.

Rating for P.S. I Love You: *1/4.

No comments:

Post a Comment