Sunday, May 9, 2010

Across the Universe (2007) (PG-13)


Across the Universe (2007) (PG-13)
Directed by Julie Taymor
Starring: Jim Sturgess, Evan Rachel Wood, Joe Anderson, Dana Fuchs

Daughter Says:

Who doesn't love at least one Beatles song. I know I don't. Now here's a movie that takes you on ride, where you can enjoy some Beatles music. This movie was about a British boy named Jude (Jim Sturgess) who goes to America to find his father. While there he runs into a strange kid named Max (Joe Anderson) who has a pretty sister. Her name would be none other than Lucy (Evan Rachel Wood). They end up falling in love and now Jude doesn't want to leave the country.

I have no idea how the Beatles are involved in this movie, but I loved it. They used tons of my favorite songs in this movie. The sad thing was that it wasn't sung by the Beatles. I hate remade songs if they shouldn't be remade.

Other than that I really enjoyed this movie. It was a very trippy movie. I haven't ever experienced drugs before, but that movie was odd. Everyone compared it to getting high. I would have to say it was a one of a kind movie and there isn't another one out there like it.

Rating for Across the Universe: ****. PS I've only seen one other movie that portrayed songs from a band (Tommy based off of Who songs) and I hated it. So plus on Across the Universe.

Daddy Says:

Why the Beatles?

My biggest complaint with this movie is the use of the Beatles music, which is, of course, it's strongest selling point. It's titled after one of their songs, the characters are all named after characters in their songs (i.e. (Hey) Jude, Lucy (in the Sky with Diamonds), Sexy Sadie, (Dear) Prudence, Max(well's Silver Hammer?)), but the music itself never seems to fit with the story.

At least the last movie that tried to do this (the awful Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band) at least tried to take the songs and weave a story out of the music itself. But with Across the Universe, there seems to be no point to using the Beatles' songs at all. Yes, the music is undeniably great. So why try to ruin it by putting it in a movie this cliched, with this many uninteresting characters?

I think the film was trying to say something about the Vietnam War and the peace protests against it, and how they could spiral out of control into the very violence they were protesting against, but honestly I think I just made more of a statement about those problems than this movie managed to do in it's entire two hours and thirteen minutes of running time.

It is possible to make a great film filled with music by the Beatles. I know because I've seen it. It's called A Hard Day's Night. You should really check it out. And avoid this one.

Rating for Across the Universe: **3/4 (and that's almost entirely for the soundtrack alone).

No comments:

Post a Comment