Saturday, August 14, 2010

Inception (2010) (PG-13)

Inception (2010) (PG-13)
Directed by Christopher Nolan
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Ken Watanabe, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Marion Cotillard

Daughter Says:

Ever since I saw the previews for this movie I’ve wanted to see it. No, I am not a huge Leonard DiCaprio fan. I’m a huge Joseph-Gordon Levitt fan. That and I like Ellen Page, but that’s beside the point. The director of Inception is just down right brilliant. He did an amazing job with both Batman movies, and he did amazing things with this movie.

Now, I know everyone is going to tell you that this movie was horrible. It made you think. If you are one of those types that want to just sit in front of TV screen and turn your brain off for a few hours then this is not the movie for you. Inception might make you have to think, but it is not that hard to follow. What’s so bad about movie’s that make you think any way? The Matrix makes you think, and look at what a huge hit it was. Or even Lost. (And don’t think about lying about that one. Lost was the most complicated TV show I’ve watched.)

Just like The Matrix, this movie was full of hard to believe stuff. Such as breaking into people’s dreams and stealing their secrets. That’s what this movie is about by the way. Leonard DiCaprio breaks into people’s dreams and steals all their top secrets. But he is faced with a very complicated job one day. Instead of stealing ideas, his new client wants him to plant an idea inside someone’s mind. This tactic is called Inception. The movie goes from there. I don’t want to give too much away, although I think the previews are rip offs. They don’t tell you anything. I want to know what this movie is about. The only real reason I went to see this movie was to watch Levitt in another five star movie. I fell in love with him in 500 Days of Summer.

It wasn’t the great acting that made this movie something else. Inception was just straight-out gorgeous. This movie had so many beautiful moments that were so out of this world. Certain parts did make me a little dizzy, but I really didn’t mind. Other moments scared me to death. I jumped many times during that movie. There were a lot of things I didn’t see coming. I won’t tell you what they are so you can go on the same adrenaline ride that I went on. I was on an emotional roller coaster through this whole movie. I felt the intensity in some parts, and leaps of joy in others. I was so strung out after that movie.

I must admit that I had wished there was an intermission in between the hours of this movie. I had to pee so bad when I got out of the movie theater it was awful. I didn’t want to leave during the movie. I was afraid I’d might miss something, and I was right. All the way through Inception my mind was getting filled with new information. Every second (of the 3 hours it took) there was something important happening. If you missed anything, you definitely would be confused the rest of the time.

Long story short, you need to see this movie. If you love either Lost or The Matrix, you will love this movie. Even if you don’t care for this movie you might just love watching all the special effects. Plus it’s not in 3D. That is always a plus. I hate that stupid invention.

Rating for Inception: *****.

Daddy Says:

I've seen all of Christopher Nolan's films (missing only his first, Following, and his third, Insomnia), and each time I've been impressed. I'm a big fan of his take on the Batman franchise, and the first two films in what could be described as his "puzzle" trilogy (Memento and The Prestige) were very fun mysteries to watch. Now comes Inception, a summer blockbuster that had the studio worried that it was "too intelligent" for audiences to enjoy. This is the type of movie that I live for, something different, something that I haven't seen dozens of times before. A movie that's original, instead of a tired remake.

The biggest weakness the film had for me going in was it's lead, Leonardo DiCaprio. I've never been a big fan of his work, to me it seems as if he's playing the same role over and over again. But he carries this film nicely. Ellen Page, as the dream's architect, also does an excellent job with her role as newcomer to the group. Her part is essential to the viewers, since she is required to ask the very questions that are going though our minds at the time, yet not seem like she's just there for exposition purposes.

As for the plot, I'll only say that it involves dreams within dreams within dreams, and when it's over you'll be talking about it for days afterwards trying to figure out what it all means. You can't turn your brain off while watching Nolan's films. He forces you to stay engaged in order to figure out what's going on at the time. I do wish the movie had been a bit shorter, since I needed to go to the restroom about halfway through and didn't dare leave for even a few minutes out of fear that I'd miss something amazing (that's the one thing I miss when I do, on the rare occasion, go out and see a movie in a real theater: a pause button).

And there is so much that is amazing. This is one of the most original movies I've ever seen. Most films I can point out a reference place or two, some piece of film history that's being copied, homaged, or outright stolen. With Inception, I never knew where the movie was going to go next.

I do have many unanswered questions about parts of the movie. But, like the recently ended television series Lost, a series like this film that forces viewers to focus on every detail to get the most out of it, I got the answers to most of the important ones. I'll be very surprised if this isn't taking home the Best Picture award next year at the Oscars.

Rating for Inception: ****1/4.

No comments:

Post a Comment