Monday, April 19, 2010

Rescue Dawn (2007) (PG-13)


Rescue Dawn (2007) (PG-13)
Directed by Werner Herzog
Starring: Christian Bale, Steve Zahn, Jeremy Davies, Marshall Bell

Daddy Says:

Christian Bale stars in Rescue Dawn, a tale of survival, both against fellow man and nature. He plays Dieter Dengler, a German-born pilot who in his first top secret mission gets shot down prior to the official start of the Vietnam War. He is quickly captured and sent to a brutal POW camp, where his captors are often as hungry as he and his fellow prisoners are. He must convince his comrades that they can make a successful escape from their harsh conditions, and then actually survive the jungle after they do.

I often felt as if I were trapped in the prison camp right along with the actors. Christian Bale immerses himself in his role. He does so well, I did not think of him as Batman even once. His co-stars Jeremy Davies (currently on TV's Lost) and Steve Zahn are remarkable as well. I'll probably never be able to watch Zahn in any other role after this one without thinking about him saying "My feet are cold."
The cinematography in this film was extremely well done. The lush greens of the jungle, the grey of the overcast skies, all contribute to creating an unforgiving atmosphere in which the participants are held captive, not by the bamboo fences surrounding them, but by the mountainous terrain itself.

Rescue Dawn is not always a pleasant ride, but it says a lot about what one man can accomplish when faced with incredible odds to overcome. It is an excellent movie.

Rating for Rescue Dawn: ****1/2

Daughter Says:

Rescue Dawn is a movie that takes you through a dangerous mission in Vietnam. The only problem is not only is Dieter Dengler (Christian Bale) caught by the other side, but the Americans are unaware that he is still alive. This little dilemma gave a whole other twist to this story. Dengler was not just having to face enemy or starvation, but he also had to face his friends.

This movie took on a turn I never would have suspected. At one point it had me saying, "Oh My God!" It had many jaw dropping moments that caught me off-guard. I also found the actors amazing in this movie. I was surprised at how skinny some of the characters could get. It was freaky. Another great effect would have to be the surrounding area. It was beautiful but dangerous. I was always waiting for some giant monster/ animal to jump out and attack them.

I really enjoyed this suspenseful, action movie, and I think anyone who enjoys getting caught off-guard and second guessing things should really watch this movie.

Rating for Rescue Dawn: ****1/2.

No comments:

Post a Comment